The Attribute Bulk update utility tool provides the ability to update ProjectWise attributes with title block tag data from multiple design files. The data can then be viewed in the files environment attribute properties page and in ProjectWise views. This document will show how to setup and use the attribute bulk update tool.
A working knowledge of ProjectWise Administrator, ProjectWise Explorer, ProjectWise Environments and views, AutoCAD, and title blocks is needed to follow along in this document.
The examples below assumes you have a title block already setup in your drawing file, and an attribute binding for that title block in ProjectWise Administrator. It is also assumed you have an environment and view configured. (For information on how to setup environments and views please see the ProjectWise Administrator help.)
**Please note the Attribute Bulk Update Utility tool is intended to use with .dgn and .dwg extension files. **
ProjectWise Attribute Bulk update tool is installed when ProjectWise Explorer is installed. It can be found under Start > All Program > Bentley > ProjectWise V8 XM > iDesktop_Integration > Attribute Bulk Update. For a picture of the Icon that is in the folder, see Figure 1 below.
In order to process .dwg files, the ProjectWise Attribute Bulk update tool requires the AutoCAD engine to be installed on the client. For the example below, AutoCAD 2008 was installed and an AutoCAD 2007 drawing was used.
Using the Attribute Bulk Update tool
1) Identify the title block name and make sure it is configured in the drawing file.2) Via ProjectWise Explorer, open a .dwg drawing in AutoCAD and zoom into the title block. Select the contents of one of the tags in the title block and double click. The Enhanced Attribute Editor should display. See Figure 2 below.
3) In the ‘Enhanced Attribute Editor' dialog, take note of the name of the Block and the tag name. In this example the name of the block is "TITLE" (case sensitive), and the tag name is DRN_BY4) Add the attribute to the view in ProjectWise Administrator. It is important to note that the title block tag in the drawing file and the attribute exchange in ProjectWise Administrator need to be the exact same format (case sensitive)5) On the Integration Server, log into the ProjectWise Administrator6) Expand ‘Attribute Exchange Rules' and right click on ‘AutoCAD Title Blocks' select ‘New' then ‘Attribute Class'. See Figure 3 below.7) In the ‘New attribute Class Properties' window, name the Exchange Rule. This needs to be the same name as the Block name that is mentioned above (see step 1, under the ‘Enhanced Attribute Editor'.) In this example it is called ‘TITLE'
8) The following steps create the bindings between the AutoCAD title block and the ProjectWise environment attributes. Select the new ‘AutoCAD Title Block' you just created and in the right pane window of ‘ProjectWise Administrator', right click and select ‘New'. The New Attribute Wizard will guide you through creating a new attribute class: a. Attribute name: Name this the same as the tag noted in the ‘Enhanced Attribute Editor'. (In this example DRN_BY) b. Binding the attribute: Click on Add c. Add Binding: select the ‘Environment property' toggle button then select the environment from the drop down menu. See Figure 4 below. d. Select ‘DRAWN' and select ok e. Formatting bindings: Click NEXT f. Click Finish
9) Repeat steps 1 thru 4 for other attributes to be bulk loaded10) Add the environment attribute(s) that you bound to the exchange attributes to the view a. The view in this example is called ‘BulkIT' b. An existing view may be used or a new view may be created; in this example The attribute name ‘DRAWN' is selected and added to the view. Click OK to complete the step. See Figure 5 below.
11) Now that you have set up your Environment, View, and Bindings you are ready to run the ‘Attribute Bulk Update' tool.
12) Close and check in the .dwg mentioned in step one back in to ProjectWise: a. Make sure the folder has the correct environment ‘env_ap01' and view ‘BulkIT' set. b. Right click on the drawing and notice there is no information in the attributes tab for the file. See Figure 6 below.
13) Navigate to Start, Programs, Bentley, ProjectWise V8 XM, iDesktop Integration, and select ‘Attribute Bulk Update'. See Figure 7 below.
14) Login into the datasource where the drawing has been placed. See Figure 8 below.
15) Navigate to the file and select ‘Mark' (A red check appears) and click Next. See Figure 9 below.
*NOTE: at this point multiple files and folders can be selected*
16) Review the Documents Summary then click next. See Figure 10 below.
17) In the ‘Select Options' dialog, under Logging Level, choose ‘Full', then click next. Selecting ‘full' aids in verifying multiple files that have been bulk updated. The log file can be opened using notepad and will show error messages from files that have not been updated. See Figure 11 below.
18) Click Start Update. See Figure 12 below.
19) When the Process is complete click Close. See Figure 13 below.
20) Go back into ProjectWise Explorer. The attributes will appear to have not updated for the file. See Figure 14 below.
Press F5 on your keyboard to refresh the listThe attributes are now updated. See Figure 15 below.
• Make sure all Binding are named the same as the Tag name in the drawings title block, (this is case sensitive)• The ProjectWise environment attribute name does not need to be the same as the attribute Exchange attribute, however that attribute Exchange attribute and the title block tag name must be the same.• The following registry keys should be in the path below with Multi-String Values Check the following registry key's to make sure they exist.• HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bentley\ProjectWise iDesktop Integration\08.09\TitleBlocks\Tools\Auto Update\Ustation• HKLM\SOFTWARE\Bentley\ProjectWise iDesktop Integration\08.09\TitleBlocks\Tools\Bulk Extract\Ustation• There should be a Multi-String Value named ‘FileType' with Value data:image/vnd.dgnimage/vnd.dgn;ver=8
Product TechNotes and FAQsProjectWise TechNotes And FAQs
Bentley's Technical Support Group requests that you please confine any comments you have on this Wiki entry to this "Comments or Corrections?" section. THANK YOU!