ProStructures Object tool tip is a quick way to see object information while hovering the mouse on the object. Multiple entities can be added in tooltip. This document will explain how to use and set up ProStructures Object tool tips.
The object tooltip can be activated via Global Settings or Options either right click and then click to Options or going via File > Settings > User > Global Settings. And need to Enable ProStructures tooltip.
You can also switch on via PS Toggle buttons
When hover over mouse on a ProStructures object a text field appears with information about the object, such as Name, Length, Position number etc.
This Object tooltip can be customized to show user defined list of object information.. You can add multiple entities to that Object tooltip. E.g. one wants to show the Group data like Group Name and Group Position No. This can be done by editing tooltips.ini file.
Open Global Settings or Options.
To get to the setting for the tooltip it is necessary to switch to Expert Mode.
A new entry “Files” will be displayed at the end of the list on the left hand side.
The button Object Tool Tips opens a text file which is organized in three blocks.
1. [Display] >> Actual setting for the Object tooltip, Syntax or formula of tooltip. There are two display settings, one for Steel and other one is dedicated for rebar
2. Available Property or Fields keywords like Common Property, Group Properties, Bolt Properties etc.
3. [DefaultLabelKeywords] >> These keywords to be used in place of hard-coded strings to label object property values. The keywords indicate which property is being labeled, e.g. LABEL-GROUPNOTE1 is for GROUPNOTE1
Here an example to add two new lines to show the information of Group Name and Group Position Number
[Display]Form=%LABEL-ELEMENTID% %ELEMENTID%\n%LABEL-POSNUM% %POSNUM%\n%LABEL-NAME% %NAME%\n%LABEL-LENGTH% %LENGTH%\n%LABEL-GROUPPOSNUM% %GROUPPOSNUM%\n%LABEL-GROUPNAME% %GROUPNAME%
This tooltips.ini file located at C:\Program Files\Bentley\ProStructures CONNECT Edition\ProStructures\Default\appl\Data
To change or modify the settings, take a local copy and do the changes. After doing all the changes replace the file at that particular location.
Please note the following points while adding new property.
1. To add new line use "\n"
2. Each property to be separated and enclosed by "%" symbol like %LABEL-NAME% %NAME% which will return Name: ISMB 400
3. The property variables to be used from those supplied variables in .ini file which can be found in the second block.
3. For labels one needs to use from those default Label Keywords and it should be written like LABEL - <Label Name>. Most commonly used Labels can be found in third block of the .ini file.
The setting for the object tool tip will be loaded at the start of ProStructures. Any change of the setting will be shown after a restart of Application. See the modified tooltip after adding Group Name and Group Position No.