In complex drawings having so many parts, sometimes it is difficult to identify which dimension represents which parts. In that scenario, label dimension lines is very useful which will give you the clear identity for the dimension placed for which parts. Below is an example showing the dimension with label for the Stiffener plates connected to the Column.
In the above detail you can see dimension is placed for Stiffeners and it is also labelled at the right in line with dimension which indicates this dimension group is placed for Stiffeners only.This document will explain how to label dimension placed for particular parts.
Please follow the below steps to achieve this.
1. To explain this take the example as shown in the picture. It is very normal that a Group consists of different parts like Stiffener, End Plates, Gusset Plates, Shear plates etc. So to segregate different parts we need to create separate dimension groups for each types o parts.
2. In Detail Style under Dimensioning go to Groups > Reference points and add a dimension group
3. In Add group dialog take Type group as Basic group, type Group name as Stiffener, take Label type as User definition. Direction selection can also be chosen from drop down. And type label as "Stiffener" which will be displayed in the drawing block.
4. When you say ok, you can see one new dimension group is created as Stiffener. Right click on that dimension group and say "Add parts" which will open up with Assign parts dialog. Here select in Description box the exact description assigned for the stiffener while modeling.
5. Now click on the dimension group and arrange the dimension settings in the options provided at the right side for both Longitudinal and Transverse directions
6. In addition to that also you need to enable Label dimension lines under Dimensioning > Common
And then your output will be like as below
In this way you can create separate dimension groups and place dimension with label for those particular parts.