In CONNECT Edition the configuration folder structure is changed from the previous V8i versions. There have been additional configuration levels added to CONNECT.1. WorkSpace is now Configuration 2. Site is now Organization 3. Project is now WorkSet 4. User now really means User5. WorkSets are now organized under a WorkSpace
Users working on V8i projects and wants to switch or migrate their all projects to ProStructures CONNECT Edition, they need to transfer all their projects under the Project folder to WorkSet in CONNECT Edition. Along with this transfer they also need to change the .pcf file .cfg file . this document will explain how to migrate V8i projects to CONNECT WorkSet in ProStructures.
There are two methods of migration of projects to Worksets.A. Manual Migration of a Project to a WorkSet:
1. To explain this let me start with existing projects under V8i Projects folder. In the below snap some projects are there under project folder. From File Explorer, begin by navigating to the folder C:\ProgramData\Bentley\ProStructures V8i S8\WorkSpace\Projects, locating the following project folder with respective .pcf file.2. Copy these files and paste them into the WorkSet of required WorkSpace. For e.g. follow this path: C:\ProgramData\Bentley\ProStructuresCONNECTEdition\Configuration\WorkSpaces\ <WorkSpace Name> \WorkSets.3. Rename Proj1pcf to Proj1.cfg. 4. With a text editor, Edit Proj1.cfg. Edit the file as per the steps given below.
5. Using the Replace tool in your text editor, replace every instance of _USTN_PROJECTDATA with _USTN_WORKSETROOT.
6. After editing, it will be then look like as below
7. When complete, Save the file and close the text editor.8. Follow the same steps for other projects too.
9. Start the ProStructures CONNECT EDITION in the specific workspace (US-Canada metric) and now choose the WorkSet as Proj1. Workspace : US_Canada metric Workset : Proj1
10. Pick Browse and open any of the three DGN files in Proj1.
As the file is opened, the MicroStation CONNECT Edition is creating a .dgnws file for the WorkSet and placing it into the location definedby the value of _USTN_WORKSETDGNWS.11. You are then presented with the No WorkSet Alert dialog.
Since this file is being opened in the ProStructures CONNECT Edition for the first time, you are prompted to open this with the active WorkSpace/WorkSet
This is part of the ProStructures CONNECT Edition’s “branding” of design files.Once a file is branded, this prompt will no longer be seen. It stores the last WorkSpace and WorkSet used to open the DGN file. It is designed to prompt the user if a file is opened with the incorrect WorkSet and WorkSpace. The prompt allows you to continue or change to the correct WorkSpace and WorkSet.
12. Now you have successfully migrated your project to CONNECT and can go on.
B. Automated Migration of Multiple Projects to WorkSets:
The “Manual” migration will usually suffice when you only have a handful of Projects that need to be brought converted to WorkSets. However, in most cases, many more projects are managed and manually migrating these would be a chore. Rather than rename and edit each *.cfg, remove deprecated configuration variables, update other variables, and save the files, the process can be automated.
1. First you need to copy all the projects folders and respective pcf files to Workset. In this case place it under Workspace "US_Canada_Metric" WorkSet
2. Start the ProStructures CONNECT Edition with setting, WorkSpace US_Canada Metric and WorkSet ExampleMetric.
3. Browse and open any of the existing DGN file.
4. Go to Key-in and run the command, "project upgradealltoworksets"
5. The key-in processed four Projects and created WorkSets from these.
The keyin “project upgradealltoworksets” completes several different tasks. It creates a WorkSet configuration file *.cfg from each *.pcf file. It then creates a *.dgnws in the location defined by _USTN_WORKSETDGNWS. The variable _USTN_PROJECTDESCR is removed (this variable is replaced by the WorkSet property “Description” stored in the *.dgnws). It also updates variables that contain the string “_USTN_PROJECTDATA” replacing this with “_USTN_WORKSETROOT”. A Sheet Index is also created in the *.dgnws.
6. Navigate to the "C:\ProgramData\Bentley\ProStructures CONNECT Edition\Configuration\WorkSpaces\USA_Canada_Metric\WorkSets". You will note that the conversion leaves the original *.pcfs behind.After you have verified all is working correctly, you can remove/delete these *.pcf files as desired.
6. Close ProStructures completely and relaunch. You will now see under WorkSet, there are also Proj1, Proj2, Proj3, Proj4 are listed.
So in this way you can easily migrate multiple projects into CONNET WorkSet