In this document, we are going to learn the correct and proper way to save the DGN file as a DWG file. Before saving any 3D models to DWG it is recommended to use the Create Native Solid Drawing export tool. This has two advantages, first you are getting added Value when saving as DWG, because your elements have added information as AutoCAD readable attributes, when saving as DWG. And second any element which could not be converted is on an extra level, for clear identification.
Please follow the below steps to achieve this.
1. Before converting DGN to DWG please make a backup copy of the original file and then open the model that you want to save as DWG. For example, see below image.
2. Go to the Backstage > File > Export > ProStructures File Types here click on the Create Native Solid Drawings.
3. After clinking on it, Convert to Solid dialog box will appear. Here you can see various options. Select the required options.
4. In the Procedure for non-convertible parts option you will find following four options.
i. Leave non-convertible unchanged – this is the default option, when set, the Parts from the selection set, that can't be converted to solids during conversion process, won't be changed in any way, they will stay in the drawing.
ii. Remove non-convertible – when set, the Parts from the selection set, that can't be converted to solids during conversion process, will be removed from the drawing.
iii. Move non-convertible to level – when set, all non-convertible parts from the selection set will be moved to the chosen level during the conversion procedure. The Level setting appear next.
Level – Allows selecting a desired level the non-convertible parts are moved to.
(Level Manager) – use if you want to choose a new level (without leaving the dialog). Click to open the level manager, where you can add the new level. If you close the level manager, then the list of levels will be updated automatically, and it will contain the new level.
iv. Add prefix to levels of non-convertible – when set, adds a level prefix in front to all levels of all non-convertible parts. The Prefix setting appear next.
Prefix – Displays the default: "Non-convertible-" prefix string.
For example, if a non-convertible part that lies before conversion on level "PC_WALL", it will be moved to level "Non-convertible-PC_WALL".
5. After selecting appropriate option for non-convertible objects click on the Convert Parts to Solid button and then select the model.
6. It will take some time to complete the process. After conversion the ProSteel element will be a Shared Cell.
7. Now, go to Backstage > File > Export > Common File Types and here click on the DWG (*.dwg) option.
8. In the Export File dialog box, give a required name and click on the Save button.
9. After clicking on the Save button, File Save Progress dialog box pop ups. Please wait till the process gets completed, it will take some time to complete.
10. After successful export, open the DWG file and see the properties of the elements. In the below image you can the Attributes tab which has the properties of the ProSteel element.
In this manner, we can export the DGN file to DWG file and this is the correct and proper way to export DGN file to DWG file.
Save As DWG is not converting Solid model in CONNECT Editionhttps://communities.bentley.com/products/prostructures/w/structural_drafting_and_detailing__wiki/41448/save-as-dwg-is-not-converting-solid-model-in-connect-edition
Converting DGN to DWG, gives wrong unithttps://communities.bentley.com/products/prostructures/w/structural_drafting_and_detailing__wiki/37867/converting-dgn-to-dwg-gives-wrong-unit
Create native solid drawinghttps://communities.bentley.com/products/prostructures/w/structural_drafting_and_detailing__wiki/30097/create-native-solid-drawing