How to change the Base Unit in STAAD.Pro
It is important to have Base Unit to be consistent with the modeling unit. For example if one is trying to create a model in feet and pound units, one should have Base Unit set as English. On the other hand, if one is trying to create a model in met and kN units, one should have Base Unit set as Metric. Doing otherwise would lead to rounding off of decimals which can create issues with import/export to/from STAAD.Pro or even with floor load generation, wind load generation etc.
In STAAD.Pro Connect Edition, the base units may be changed from within the startup page of STAAD.Pro as shown below
In older versions of STAAD.Pro ( v8i and older ), the base units may be changed as explained next
1. Go to the opening page of STAAD.Pro. In this page, you will only be able to see two options in the top menu bar – “File” and “Help”. Refer to Figure 1.
2. In the “File” menu, click on the “Configure” option. Please refer to Figure 1 below.
3. On clicking on the “Configure” option, the following is displayed (refer Figure 2).
4. Click on the “drop-down” switch. The current base unit settings will be shown and highlighted. Click on the required Unit Settings and click on “Apply” and “Accept”. Refer Figure 2.
5. Your Base Unit Settings are changed now.