I'm trying to set up some standard ORD DWG export processes for my organization and have only found a few methods to get the outputs I require without issues that require extensive post-processing to be good enough for delivery. Plan exports are a bit convoluted to get past the issue of elements exporting with no symbology after splitting strings with gaps during export, but it gets us close to what we want - unfortunately many issues regarding annotation values changing on export. Ideally i'd love us to be using Microstation to take advantage of the native dynamics, but unfortunately our market is primarily AutoCAD for drafting.
Here's what i've come up with so far using ORD 2018 R3;
*UPDATE* - A few improvements in ORD 2018 R4 meaning less custom processes
*UPDATE* - More improvements in ORD 2021 R1 and R2
2D Alignment Plan export with Annotation - process required to export chainage annotation:
1. Open new DGN using 2D seed
2. Reference in Default model with no nesting
3. Turn off display of unnecessary levels
4. Create Fence around data
5. Deactivate Auto Field Update using "EXPAND SET MS_AUTO_UPDATE_FIELDS = NEVER" keyin
6. Use Fence to File command to copy contents to new DGN
7. Open New DGN
8. Select all Annotation Cells (named "DrawTextAnnotation") and drop
9. Select all Text Nodes and drop (this seems to allow correct export of field values)
10. Export to DWG
11. Reactivate Auto Field Update using "EXPAND SET MS_AUTO_UPDATE_FIELDS = ALWAYS" keyin
Note: You can start the process from your live DGN Default (2D) model and skip points 1 and 2 if you don't mind changing many level display settings in your live file. We keep a DGN saved for export levels already preset.
3D DWG Plan export - process required when model includes string gaps and clipping, etc.: Normal DWG export is now resolved, although this process gives a cleaner result (WYSIWYG)
1. Open new DGN using 3D seed (or 2D for flattened DWG)
2. Reference in Default-3D model with no nesting
5. Use Fence to File command to copy contents to new DGN
6. Open New DGN
4. Select all Complex Chains and drop (required to avoid dropped chains being put on layer 0 by default)
5. Export to DWG
Note: If you want a 3d DWG and don't mind changing many level display settings in your live file, you can start the process from your live DGN Default-3D model and skip points 1 and 2. We keep a DGN saved for export levels already preset.
Cross section DWG export :
*Required DWG Export options:
Note: MS_REF_VISEDGE_ATTACH_STATE = CachedAutomatic config variable doesn't seem to be required anymore - correct me if im wrong?
Profile DWG export:
*Required DWG Export options:
Thank you for this, I was struggling to figure out how to just get a plain DWG output from ORD, especially since all our drawings are created in AutoCAD and there's no way we're going to get every team to learn Microstation.
I've gone through your process (layouts only so far, trying out profiles and sections today), have you found any improvements to the process for 2021 R1?
I have updated this post with recent fixes that makes the process even easier. One thing that was an issue is that multi-Sheet Profiles that had vertical parabolas spanning over multiple sheets would vanish from adjacent sheets, but this has been fixed for us in a Priority ORD build that should be included in the upcoming ORD 2021 R2 release due shortly i believe. From what i've been told some more fixes will be included, but generally the current version exports to DWG quite well (with the right settings).
OpenRoads Designer 2021 R2 (10.10) | Microstation CE Update 16.3 | ProjectWise CE 3.4