I've been having a recurring problem when generating sheets and placing annotations using the Openroads workflow. I am using the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) workspace. I create a sheet container file from scratch using the IDOTeng.dgn seed, and bring in some references before cutting sheets. For reasons I don't understand, certain civil tools create items and annotations that are off by a factor of 10 given the annotation scale. For instance, in the picture below, the centerline alignment annotation comes in at the proper sizing for the 1" = 20' scale, but the civil labels generated by the civil labeler come in exactly 10 times too big. However, the arrowheads on the leaders extending from those labels are the correct size.
Sometimes, the tick marks for the alignment annotation come in at the right size, and the text 10 times too big. With other drawings, the text comes in 10 times too small. When I change the annotation scale, the text will always be off by a factor of 10.
At times the named boundary tool also cuts the named boundary length by a factor of 10. For example, for 20 scale plans the length should be 600', but it comes in as 60'. Changing manually to 600' makes the cut sheets look screwy.
This is maddening and requires me to scale all sorts of annotative items by 10 at random.
Our civil workspace is entirely within one directory on projectwise, and the IDOT standard dgnlibs can be copied to local folders in the project directory so they can be edited (but I don't want to do that yet).
I appreciate any help.
Most likely due to CONNECT/ORD having a resolution of 10,000 per distance unit but the resources being used were developed in v8i where file resolution was 1,000 per distance unit. The difference between the 2 resolution values is 10.
We ran into this issue when updating to CONNECT/ORD. All line styles & text sizes, elements within a file/model, etc. (converting from v8i to CONNECT/ORD) had to be redefined to account for the resolution change. The resolutions I am referring to are specific to our files and the resolution in your files may be different.
Microstation CONNECT 10.17.00.209
ORD CONNECT 2021 R1 10.10.1.3
Microstation v8i SS 10 08.11.09.919
Power InRoads v8i 08.11.09.615
Thanks mwlong and MaryB. I think there are some issues in this regard. Both the seed and the feature_definitions_labels.dgnlib have resolutions of 1,000, but the see has a solids area of 10 miles and the dgnlib has a solids area of 1 mile. Our alignment geometry file, which was created by another user and I believe is upgraded from a Geopak SS10 file, has a resolution of 10,000 and a solids area of 10 miles.
So the seed and the dgnlib have the same resolution but the solids area is off by a factor of 10. I don't know what the solids area is, beyond an article saying it isn't super relevant to V8 dgns. Could this still be causing the issue?
Since your alignment file is at a resolution of 10x your DGNLIB file, you may need to change your working Unit resolution of that file to match your resources. This is a little more complicated then just editing the advanced settings because of the way element and coordinate systems may scale in response to the change
While I haven't used it yet, Ohio DOT has a program that can be used to rescale/re-unit drawings: [CONNECT] Ohio DOT Unit Converter App
Make sure you make a backup copy of your drawing before making any changes like this. I have no connection to this app, and cannot vouch for what it might or might not do. I also cannot say what effect, if any, this might have on any GCS set for your drawing. But it's worth a look to see if it will correct your problem.
Power GeoPak 08.11.09.918Power InRoads 08.11.09.918OpenRoads Designer 2021 R2
MaryB said:Ohio DOT has a program that can be used to rescale/re-unit drawings:
I have used that program and it works really well. You just need to know which way to scale your files and by what factor.
Everyone who focused on the Resolution and solids working area is spot on. We are finishing up a do over of out Workspace after trying to preserve many of our V8i file settings, many of which date back to V7 and earlier. Too many things just did not work, even with a workspace wide consistent resolution of 1000. I can't imagine what a mixture of files in two different resolutions would do.
Charles (Chuck) Rheault CADD Manager
MDOT State Highway Administration
I use IDOT standards as well and the 2 files you have said that have a resolution of 1000 is wrong. Both of those files, the seed and the dgnlib, have a resolution of 10000. Someone at your organization has change them or substituted different files.
Every seed file and dgnlib has been set at a 10000 resolution.
Confirmed... Latest 10.10 workspace download offered by IDOT shows 10000.
2021 R1 (10.10), 2022 R1 (10.11)