I have a user on XP who has used the report browser in the past, but today, it generates and error dialog box stating Failed to load file ... and if you browse to his TMP folder, the file is there but the InRoadReport.txt and the corresponding tmp files are also there, but are zero bytes.
I even had him open the rawxml.xsl report and save the XML file to his desktop and then try opening it in the report browser. Same basic error message.
We all use the same project defaults that are driven by CFG files so our reports are on the network and I seem to have not problems.
Does anyone know why this type of error occurs and how to correct it.
Even a reboot of the PC did not help.
In the root directory where the XSL files are located (default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Bentley\InRoads Group V8.11\XML Data\en), make sure you have the following files:
There all there.
I logged on to one of the PC's having this problem and also get the same error.
It writes the initial XML file to the temp folder. But if you select a stylesheet that writes an html page, the page that is written (InRoadsReport.htm) is bare bones - title only.
If you select a report that writes a TXT file, there is a zero byte InRoadsReport.txt file.
On my PC that it works, when switching from TXT to HTML output, the InRoadsReport.<ext> file that is no longer needed is removed. On the PC that does not work, the InRoadsReport.<ext> file remains.
Charles (Chuck) Rheault CADD Manager
MDOT State Highway Administration
I have the same problem and have not found an answer. Please refer to another forum post:
I'd do appreciate any tip that will make reports working.
While that thread is about Ss3, I am having the same problem in Ss2. It does appear to be PC specific.
On my PC, everything works. On these two users PC, none of us can run the reports.
I'm logging a TR as this is mission critical for our Survey Workflow.
I may have found the answer. There may also be version issues at work.
The workflow which generates the report is using the Survey XML Report.
Somehow, attribute values in the FWD were not being written correctly to the XML file, but only in certain versions.
Whatever version are on my PC, when the FWD was opened and an XML Report created, the XML file was well formed. But on the other PC's an attribute value of 6" PATIO DRAIN was not properly written to the XML file.
The attribute, in Notepad++ looked like this:
<SurveyAttribute name="TY" value="6 PATIO DRAIN"/>
Where the  was some type of extended character. And when I created a report from this, is seemed to ignore the character.
But on the other PC's, it converted it to a regular double quote ( " ) in the XML file, instead of " which made the attribute line not a well formed XML line. The browser saw the attributes value as "6" and then did not know what to do with PATIO DRAIN" still in the line.
I edited the FWD to change the characters to IN and the error disappeared.
I changed fonts in Notepad++ to Arial and the  displayed as Â”
So beware of extended characters in what should be ASCII files.
Answer Verified By: Jacquelyn Pettus
Thanks caddcop!!! You're description of the problem helped me troubleshoot a similar bug. I'm running Inroads 18.104.22.1682 and got a similar error message when I tried to send my COGO points to a stylesheet: "Failed loading file ******.xml" The underlying problem is that some of my COGO points had descriptions that included an non-standard character, namely the delta character,
∆. The stylesheet parser apparently bugs-out when it tries to interpret this character. Solution: get rid of any non-standard characters.