I've got a long list of borehole locations measured in station/offset along an alignment. All of these are outside of geopak (in gINT and in a basic spreadsheet). I would like to convert them to latitude/longitude, so that I'll have some greater flexibility when working with gINT and Google Earth. I'm assuming I'd first have to convert it to state plane coordinates, then to lat/long.
Anyone know how I can accomplish this? I have a basic to very limited knowledge of the geographic tools, which I'm assume would be needed in the conversion.
Jeff, do you have GEOPAK? we have a conversion tool inside GEOPAK
For more information about the Road and Site design tools, visit the Road and Site design WIKI at: http://communities.bentley.com/products/road___site_design/w/road_and_site_design__wiki
ok. do this
1. open coordinate geometry in geopak, create a new job
2. go to file > import ascii points
3. set the dialog to match your excell or ascii file. (ie. columns, point number, station offset, xyz etc)
once the points are stored in cogo (check them with the cogo navigator)
4. open geopak survey
5. go to Geometry > conversions > geodetic
6. go to file and select save to ascii
7. select your geodetic data
you can refer to the help files for more info on the individual tools and their options.
pressing F1 while the focus is on a dialog should bring up the corresponding help file
Answer Verified By: Jeff Geist
Thank you, Nico.
It gave me some output to work with. One thing of note: my boreholes, which were my Point# selection, were not all numeric, so it gave me errors in a few places.
1. Spaces are not allowed, so "PA 001" should be named "PA001"
2. Alpha characters following numeric characters weren't allowed, so PA341A used the error coding.
3. Non-alphanumeric characters were not allowed, such as "PA01-P"
I don't know if the output format of the Lat/Long (DMS vs DD) can be altered by the settings in Microstation, but I got DMS and needed DD. I opened the output file as a delimited csv spreadsheet and used a formula to convert it. Since I had to use that spreadsheet format to extract the Lat/Long info (for copy and paste purposes), it didn't really add any extra work.